The Storm

FHS Cheerleader Tryouts

Chelsea Black, Editor

104 Views

“It’s the most stressful week of the year” is the response you will get if you ask a cheerleader about tryout week. Flomaton Cheerleader tryouts are coming up very soon, on Saturday, February 16. Being a cheerleader comes with a lot of hard work and responsibility; our “season” never ends. In late February we tryout for our next year, then we start preparing for the spring game, and summer camp. The spring game is in May, so we have to start teaching cheers and dances to the new girls, and coordinating stunt groups. After the spring game, we go to summer camp in June where we spend four days learning and executing dance routines, stunts, and cheers. After camp, we start summer practices to prepare for the upcoming football season. These practices include pep-rally planning, learning dances, cheers, and stunts. We also draw out spirited and colorful signs for our football team. Football typically ends in November, and then basketball season begins. We cheer two to three basketball games a week, and we practice to perform halftime entertainments. Basketball season continues until early to mid-February and then everything starts all over again.

Cheerleading requires a lot of hard work and dedication, but it can be very rewarding and fun! We are constantly physically exerting ourselves, keeping our bodies in shape. And we get to participate in huge sports events like the football State Championship game this past year! So, if you’re looking for a great way to make best friends and be involved in your school, go see Ms. Angie Wright and get a tryout packet! Tryouts will be Saturday, February 16th at 8 in the morning. The 2019 senior cheerleaders will be there to encourage every girl trying out, and we hope to see you there! Go Canes!