FHS marching band travels to Opp for competition

Kenya Gresham

The FHS band in Opp, AL for contest

Nolan McAnally, Managing Editor

643 Views

Last Saturday, the Flomaton High School Marching Band traveled to Opp, Alabama to compete in the 31st Annual Little-Bighorn Band Competition.

Over the years, the FHS Marching band has gone to this competition and scored superior. This year was nothing new to them as the band made an overall one.

In band competitions, the score is ranged from one-four, four being the lowest possible score, and one being the highest overall score.

Among the bands competing were bands from Andalusia High School, Satsuma High School, and Elba High School. Bands from around the Southeast attend this competition annually, and prepare themselves each year for harder and harder competitors.

Band competitions are bigger than football games to some bands. To receive a superior rating (overall one) is like being crowned the region winner. The real treat comes when your band receives Best in Class.

The Marching Hurricanes also received Superior ratings at the Dixieland Marching Contest in Brewton, AL just a few weeks ago. The FHS Band doesn’t plan to go to anymore marching competitions, but looks forward to the annual State contest for concert band each spring.

Last spring was the first in 36 years that the FHS Concert Band made superior ratings at this contest.

Congratulations to the superior ratings the Flomaton High School Marching Band received at contest.