Enrichment Program

Enrichment+Program

Nolan McAnally

Godwin teaches to class

Brooke Carden, School News Editor

324 Views

Linda Godwin is the teacher for the enrichment program for Escambia County Schools.  She has been teaching for the past eleven years. It is a state mandated program so the students have to meet a certain criteria in order to be in the program.  This is a program whereby students can come here and so activities and lessons over and above what they would get in the regular classroom.

The topic for this year is the middle ages. They will be studying about nights, castles, and things related to this topic.  Then they will work on an independent study project.  Godwin does a lot of hands on science experiments and art activities because the students tell her that they don’t get to do that in the regular classroom.

Enrichment starts in the third grade and goes through the eighth grade. There are approximately 180 students that come from all over the county. The students come from eight different schools in the county.  Godwin says that the reason that they are at Flomaton is because it’s a central location. The students are bused from W.S. Neal, Pollard McCall, Atmore, Huxford, and of course students from Flomaton.

The enrichment program hasn’t received any state funding in the past two years. They solicit donations from businesses and they do fundraisers so the students can help pay for their field trips. This year the students are going to see Christmas Memories by Shakespeare. Last year over Spring Break the students traveled to New York, but she hasn’t decided for this year.  Godwin says they need to go somewhere where they have a castle since they are studying the Middle Ages.