The Storm

Ebola death in America

Paige Findley, Lifestyles Reporter

Many of you have heard about the outbreak of Ebola in West Africa and possibly other places as well. A man by the name of Thomas “Eric” Duncan was traveling from West Africa to Dallas, Texas to reunite with his son and the teen’s mother. While being in Dallas for a few days he wasn’t experiencing any symptoms of Ebola, but five days after arriving in Dallas he began to.  He arrived at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in the middle of the night experiencing a fever (100.1), abdominal pain for two days, decreased urination, and a sharp headache. He stated to the nurses that were helping him that he was not experiencing any nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, which is a big indicator of Ebola.

Hospitals were told that if they had any suspicions of patients having Ebola, that they are to put the patient in isolation for testing. Duncan was not treated this way, however. He was sent home with prescription antibiotics. Duncan’s condition worsened two days after being discharged, and was vomiting as the paramedics, picked him up in the ambulance at the apartment complex he had been staying at with his family. The paramedics as well as the nurses and doctors who took care of Duncan are now undergoing some to test to see if they have Ebola. Duncan had been in isolation for 10 days, but his symptoms never got better. Duncan was the first known person in the United States to have this disease and died at about 7: 50 a.m. on October 8, 2014. Dr. Lakey, the state health commissioner, acknowledged the hospital’s efforts to treat Duncan, and stated, “We’ll continue every effort to contain the spread of the virus and protect people from this threat.”

About the Writer
Paige Findley, Lifestyles Reporter

Paige Findley is currently a senior at FHS and is our Reporter.

To contact Paige, send an e-mail to [email protected]